IOSH Managing Safely
Give managers and supervisors the knowledge and skills they need to manage health and safety within their teams.
Upon successful completion of the course and assessment, students are awarded a Managing Safely certificate from IOSH – the world’s largest health and safety membership organisation.
Bulk discounts apply. Contact us to find out more. Digital learning now available.
New: Digital Learning
Get all the benefits of structured classroom learning but with the convenience of the digital world, studying where you like.
Students join remotely using a PC, laptop or tablet and download the relevant software in advance to enable access to the tutor run class. Throughout the course, students can see and interact with the tutor and with each other.
Why study with the British Safety Council
We are one of the world’s leading health and safety organisations
Our tutors are experts in health and safety and are excellent teachers
No 'death by PowerPoint' – learning is student-centred and interactive
Study skills and examination techniques are embedded throughout
Pass rates are consistently above the national average
Why study IOSH Managing Safely?
- IOSH Managing Safely gives your technical understanding of HSE and practical techniques and tools that will benefit your organisation as a whole
- Ensures you can assess and control risks and hazards
- Ensures you understand your own responsibilities for safety and health
- Enables you to investigate incidents
- Empowers you to measure your own performance
- Those with an IOSH Managing Safely certificate are beneficial to the business in general, boosting its reputation, helping it create a strong internal health and safety culture.
What's in it for me?
- Gain the knowledge, skills and confidence to manage health and safety within your team
- Be awarded a Managing Safely certificate from the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), the world’s largest health and safety membership organisation
- This certificate offers a distinct advantage to anyone holding or seeking a managerial or supervisory position.
If you have any questions about our IOSH training courses, please visit our FAQs page.
The course is arranged into seven modules
- Introducing managing safely
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Identifying hazards
- Assessing risks
- Controlling risks
- Investigating accidents and incidents
- Measuring performance.
IOSH Managing Safely will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to manage health and safety within your team.
|Module one: Introducing managing safely|
|Module two: Assessing risks|
|Module three: Controlling risks|
|Module four: Understanding responsibilities|
|Module five: Understanding hazards|
|Module six: Investigating incidents|
|Module seven: Measuring performance|
Based on the learning objectives, all learners should be assessed in two ways:
1. Knowledge and comprehension
- Learners are required to use one of the four standard assessments
- under examination conditions, which consist of 30 questions in a variety of formats that can be achieved within 45 minutes.
- Each paper has a maximum of 60 marks
2. Practical application of learning
Learners are required to complete a workplace risk assessment using either the standard IOSH form or their own company form. This is to be completed within two weeks of the end of the course. The project must be marked using the IOSH criteria and has a maximum of 38 marks.
|Minimum mark required for each section||36/60||23/38|
|Minimum overall mark required||60|
Assessment depends on how you choose to study.
Classroom - There is an end-of-course assessment made up of 30 multi-format questions. There’s also a work-based risk assessment task to be completed within two weeks of the end of the course.
Online - You can start studying immediately. When the interactive exercises are completed you can start the assessment and risk assessment task. This must be completed within five months of registration.
Upon completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the key reasons to manage health and safety in the workplace
- Define the key terms relating to health and safety
- Identify how the law can have an impact on health and safety in the workplace
- Describe how to assess, reduce and control risk in the workplace
- Identify workplace hazards and risks, assess their impact and how to manage them
- Identify how to evaluate and respond to an incident
- List the characteristics and benefits of an effective health and safety management system
- Describe the principles that underpin good health and safety performance.
Select how you want to study
We recognise that everyone is different, which is why we offer a choice of study routes.
You can attend a course at one of our training centres, have the course delivered in your workplace, or start studying immediately by taking the course online.
We are pleased to now offer IOSH Managing Safely Live Online. Students can join remotely and learn ‘live’ with a tutor just as they would in a classroom.
Get in touch with us for course pricing.
In your workplace
We can visit your workplace and deliver the course on dates of your choice. This is an effective way of training a group of people as it saves on travel costs and allows students to keep in touch with work.
The three-day course can be delivered as a single block or, if you prefer, on separate days. The exam is sat at the end of the course and the work-based risk assessment task is submitted within two weeks.
Why in your workplace?
Cost-effective option for a group of learners
Face-to-face courses have the highest pass rates
Expert teaching by an experienced tutor
Class discussions can be company-specific
Allows students to keep in touch with work