IEMA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management
For those starting a career in environmental management who want a solid foundation in environmental and sustainability expertise to build upon. Live online learning now available.
New: Digital Learning
Get all the benefits of structured classroom learning but with the convenience of the digital world, studying where you like.
Students join remotely using a PC, laptop or tablet and download the relevant software in advance to enable access to the tutor run class. Throughout the course, students can see and interact with the tutor and with each other.
Study IEMA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management
The wide coverage of environmental, sustainability and governance principles ensures that students understand and appreciate the breadth of the sustainability agenda.
The focus on management tools and techniques equips learners with the practical skills required by employers.
Why choose the British Safety Council
We are one of the world’s leading health and safety organisations
Our tutors are experts in health and safety and are excellent teachers
No 'death by PowerPoint' – learning is student-centred and interactive
Study skills and examination techniques are embedded throughout
Pass rates are consistently above the national average
Why take the IEMA Foundation Certificate?
- Acquire the skills and knowledge to improve sustainability and environmental performance throughout your organisation, reducing costs and enhancing its reputation
- Enhance your professional competence as an environmental practitioner
- Help your organisation develop a cultural shift by promoting the best environmental practice
- Reduce organisations' negative impacts on the environment and improve reputation and profitability
- Increase your career opportunities in environmental management and your salary potential.
What's in it for me?
The IEMA Foundation Certificate will give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to contribute to environmental and sustainability management in your organisation. It will also boost your career prospects.
Upon successful completion of the course and assessment, you automatically become an Associate member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA). You may then choose to progress to the IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management which leads to Practitioner status.
Upon completion of the qualification, learners will be able to:
- Outline the implications of global trends for the environment, society, the economy and organisations
- Outline sustainable business/governance principles and their relationship with organisations,products and services
- Outline environmental principles and their relationship with organisations, products and services
- Outline major policy and legislation and their implications for organisations, products and services
- Outline major tools, techniques, systems and practices used to improve sustainability performance
- Outline the role of innovation and other leading practices in developing sustainable products and services and providing sustainable solutions
- Collect data, perform analysis and evaluate information
- Research and plan ways in which to provide sustainable solutions
- Deliver effective communication and record feedback
- Engage with stakeholders
- Outline tools and techniques that identify opportunities and risks
- Identify and propose ways to improve performance
- Support change and transformation to improve sustainability.
The 1-hour open-book multiple choice examination is undertaken online (at home or in the workplace) within 28 days of the end of the course.
How can I study?
We are pleased to now offer the IEMA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management Live Online. Students can join remotely and learn ‘live’ with a tutor just as they would in a classroom.
Get in touch with us for course pricing.
We recognise that everyone is different, which is why we offer a choice of study routes.
You can complete the course online, learn through our new live online training or we can deliver the course in your workplace.
In your workplace
We can visit your workplace and deliver the course on dates of your choice. This is an effective way of training a group of people as it saves on travel costs and allows learners to keep in touch with work.
The five-day course can be delivered in a single week or, if you prefer, on separate days over a longer period.
The multiple-choice examination is undertaken online (at home or in the workplace) within 28 days of the end of the course.
Why in your workplace?
Cost-effective option for a group of learners
Face-to-face courses have the highest pass rates
Expert teaching by an experienced tutor
Class discussions can be company-specific
Allows students to keep in touch with work