Carlsberg has been fined £3 million after a man died and another was seriously injured following an ammonia gas leak at one of its breweries.
On 9 November 2016, workers were attempting to remove a compressor from a refrigeration system at Carlsberg’s Northampton brewery.
The principal contractor for the project, Crowley Carbon UK Ltd, had appointed numerous contractors for the works.
Birmingham Crown Court heard that Carlsberg had failed to put in place appropriate isolation controls to prevent exposure to ammonia before the work started.
Father-of-two, David Chandler, 45, was killed and David Beak of Failsworth in Oldham, was seriously injured. Both were employees of sub-contractor Speedrite NE Ltd.
Twenty people also needed hospital checks after showing symptoms of ammonia exposure. It was several days before the leak was contained and gas levels dropped to a safe level.
Investigating HSE principal inspector, Samantha Wells said: “Industry guidance on safe isolation of plant should have been followed. This would have ensured that a higher level of isolation was in place, for prevention of exposure to this highly toxic and flammable substance.
“Both the client, Carlsberg, and the principal contractor should have worked together to ensure that the risk was adequately managed. Not only Carlsberg had a duty here. There was also a very clear duty on the principal contractor.
“Projects involving multiple contractors require effective management arrangements, so it’s clear who is responsible for every part of the work and that safety checks are carried out before allowing work to start.”
Carlsberg Supply Company UK Ltd, who appeared in court under their new company name of Carlsberg Marston’s Brewing Company, pleaded guilty to charges under section 2(1) and section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. The company was fined £3 million with costs of £90,000.
HSE’s case against Crowley Carbon UK Ltd failed to get a hearing because the company was placed into administration.
By Belinda Liversedge on 01 September 2023
Network Rail has been fined £1.2 million after its failure to implement a safe system of work caused a long-standing employee and grandfather to be killed.
By Belinda Liversedge on 10 July 2023
Plymouth City Council has been fined £200,000 after employees who were exposed to vibrations in roles, including grass cutting, developed hand and wrist conditions.
By Belinda Liversedge on 30 June 2023
A company which makes vape liquid has been fined after a worker lost two fingers and a thumb while clearing a blockage in a packaging machine.